Monday, April 20, 2009

How to Decorate Your Home on a Tight Budget

By: Shaneece Hudson, Homeownership Adviser, NHS of Baltimore

When the seasons change I often get the itch to change my home décor as well. This can be a very exciting project and you can do it all on a tight budget.

First, evaluate the items you already own. Is it time for that old table to go good bye? Or can I be used to enhance another room in the house. Can it be painted to match the color scheme you are going for? Or can it be polished to look brand new again? Consider painting your picture frames and buy new posters and put them in the newly painted frames. Think about changing your lamp shades. Buy fake flowers or candles to accent shelves and tables. Add different lighting whether it be new lamps or Christmas lights to the frame of the room or a tree.

Decorating can bring out the creative side in you. This is a time to have fun and allow your space to represent who you are.

I want a new sofa sooo bad but I can’t afford it right now. After looking in several stores a sofa cover can cost between $70-$100 so I have decided to be creative and make my own sofa cover. You can take a solid sheet, drape it right, and bam it changes everything. If you feel really motivated you can go to you local craft store buy fabric measure the sofa and sew your own sofa cover. You can also make cases for the accent pillows as well.

While at the craft store you can buy fabric to change your drapes and curtains. Don’t be afraid to add color and spunk to each room. You can even have a theme or color scheme for each part of the house.

If you are not crafty and prefer to buy, shop for bargains. I tell everyone clearance racks are your best friends. You never know what you may find. Go to thrift stores. When in Goodwill and Salvation Army I never have a specific item that I’m looking for I just know it when I find it. Look for items that inspire you.

Most of all have fun and don’t be afraid to try new things. You never know what you may come across.