Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Become Apart of Your Neighborhood, Join a Community Association

By: Ellen Frick, Outreach Coordinator, NHS of Baltimore

Having recently moved to Baltimore, I have a lot to learn about the city and the many neighborhoods. In my work as an Outreach Coordinator, I have been learning about neighborhoods within the city through research and a bit of time wandering throughout the city. However, in order to truly become part of my new community, I realized that I need to do more than just research online or stroll through my neighborhood.

One way that I decided to get more involved was to go to a community meeting in the area I live. Attending a neighborhood association meeting is a great way to meet neighbors and get involved in your community. Working with fellow residents towards common goals both allows you to be aware of what is going on in the community and it is empowering.

From attending the meeting in my neighborhood, I gained knowledge about pertinent issues in my community. I began to form relationships with my neighbors. Now I am more equipped to discover what my role can be in making the neighborhood a better place to live. Being at the meeting showed me that everyday interactions and conversations with local residents has the potential to teach me so much more than what any book or website could tell me.

Do you know what is going on in your neighborhood? Try attending a local meeting – meet neighbors, find out what issues concern fellow residents, and get involved. We all have unique skills, experiences, and connections that we can contribute to enhance our communities. Check out the Baltimore Housing website for a list of dates for upcoming community meetings. You can also find a group near you using Baltimore City’s Community Association Directory.