Friday, October 29, 2010

Fear of Homeownership

By: Raevyn Jones, Marketing Coordinator, NHS of Baltimore

Despite President Obama’s recent veto to a bill that could speed up foreclosure and Maryland’s new home loan interest rate being at an all-time low of 3.875 percent; many Marylanders are still in fear of becoming a homeowner. With the nations foreclosure rate still growing, I must admit that not a day goes by without me worried about foreclosure affecting me or a family member in the future.

I think most people’s perception of homeownership is that it is very hard to buy a home yet so easy to lose it. In essence, homeownership is perceived as a goal you work so hard for and it can be taken away in an instant. However, this perception could not be further from the truth. Of course there are challenges along the process to homeownership, as there are with every major decision we have to make in our lives.

In most cases of foreclosure, the person has lost their home for reasons that could have easily been avoided. For example, many people looking to own a home fail to receive proper housing counseling at the beginning of the homeownership process. Lack of appropriate knowledge about homeownership that is acquired through housing counseling has caused many people to enter bad mortgages, buy homes they cannot afford, and make crucial mistakes in the loan modification process etc. Also a main factor in foreclosure is people waiting too long to seek help. If you are facing foreclosure, you should seek help before feeling sorry for yourself.

Although homeownership is something you have to work hard for, the goal of sustainable homeownership is not far-fetched. There are an overwhelming amount of programs and incentives that assist with down payment and closing costs. Through the Down Payment and Settlement Expense Loan program, buyers are eligible for $5000 to help with costs. Other homebuying incentives are listed on the Live Baltimore website.

I still have my worries but the knowledge of various counseling, homebuyer education, and foreclosure prevention has eased some of my worries. I believe that if the right steps to homeownership are taken from the beginning, the foreclosure rate would not be as high as it is today. When I am ready to buy my first home, the first thing I will do is make sure I have a homeownership advisor by my side in the process.

1 comment:

  1. One should not fear home ownership but you should fear a mortgage thats more than you can handle.

    ReplyDelete